Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Building character

As a child/youth/young adult, my father (Howard) used to tell me ad nauseum when something difficult came my way or I was forced to do something I really didn't want to do, that I was building character.  I remember telling him once, in my early 20s, when something bad happened, that I was SURE I had enough character!!

Here's my beloved father, Howard Balenseifen:



So here I am, at age 44, and when I have to do something difficult, I think about building character.  It seems I have to do a lot of that anymore.

I work my regular job, working 8:30 to 5:00, Monday through Friday, doing wellness coaching over the phone.  I sit at a desk, so it's not physically tiring, but by the end of the day, I AM tired, nonetheless. 

But then I have a 2nd job, too, doing injection training for a pharmaceutical company.  This company makes a medication that treats multiple sclerosis.  It is a daily medication that is in shot form.  So when a client is first prescribed this medication, I go out to their home and teach them how to give themself shots.  When I started it, it was soooo perfect.  At THAT time, I was working just 20 hours a week at BSA, so this was a perfect supplement to my income.  But now that I work full-time (see earlier post) it's really hard.  I have to do it after 5:00 and on Saturdays.  I often have to drive to Plainview or Pampa or Dalhart.  And it seems to go in spurts.  Sometimes I'll have no trainings or a couple of weeks.  Then I'll do 3 in one week.  The money is AMAZING, though, and once a year I get to go someplace awesome for a training seminar.  This last year, I got to go to New Orleans, and my sweet Mamma went with me.  Here we are, in a trolley car:



So when these times come up (like it did yesterday), I just "Man Up" and go.  It makes for a LONG day, but we need the money.

And after all, I AM building character!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment