Tuesday, July 27, 2010

.

I LOVE the story of how the Lord calls to Samuel in 1st Samuel chapter 3. It’s one of those Bible stories that always brings a smile to my lips. I think that I am often like Samuel, needing the Lord to call out to me multiple times before I know it is Him. But what brings this story to mind today is that I OFTEN start my quiet time with the words, “Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.” And today is no different.



I read an article today about mothers and that paragon of virtue, the Proverbs 31 woman. For those of you who are not familiar, here is part the text:

Her children arise and call her blessed;


her husband also, and he praises her:


"Many women do noble things,


but you surpass them all."


Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;


but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised (Proverbs 31:28-30).


King Lemuel is speaking of a “wife of noble character.” But this particular article (I could not find the author of this piece) talked about the theory that people begin to see themselves the way other significant people in their lives see them and ultimately, they reflect the expectations of those closest to them. The noble woman's husband praised her. He took notice of her good deeds and built her up. Her children went out of their way to thank her and bless her for all that she had done. Could it be that their affirmations energized her to do those good deeds in the first place?

So what happens, then, if a wife/mother DOESN’T hear the words of affirmation, if she ISN’T praised for her good deeds, if she ISN’T thanked by her children. Hmmmm. . . . .

Ultimately, I know that the responsibility to bring good, to work vigorously, to open her arms to the poor, to speak with wisdom, and to fear the LORD falls on each of us as women, as wives and mothers. But I wonder how much of our success or failure stems from the praise (or lack thereof) from those around us.


Thoughts to ponder. . . .














.

No comments:

Post a Comment