Friday, April 8, 2011

Strength

Today has been such an emotional day. I am still trying to recover from the exhaustion of the trip to Ft. Worth. Then this morning, McKenna, Barre’ and I met with her school principal and the health aid to talk about her new brace for scoliosis. And I don’t like it. The “nurse” in me spent time last night preparing a letter for her file, so that everyone at the school would be informed and we’d all be on the same page. But the simple fact is that this new brace hurts her. It hurts her ribs and her hips mainly. But we have to work up to having her wear this for 20 hours a day.







So we have our meeting and Miss Mc is, of course, a trooper. She lets us poke and prod her, showing them everything. She just stands there and smiles as I take the brace off and on to show them how to do it. We made out a plan for her to wear the brace in the morning but then take it off at lunch and just leave it off for the afternoon. Then we’ll put it back on after school when she gets home. Somehow, we’ll work up to that 20 hours.






After our meeting, the principal took McKenna off to class, and my heart just broke all over again, to see her walking off, with this ugly brace making her look so different and her gait so unsteady. But when I went back this afternoon, I went in a little early to ask how she did, and they all said she did just great. She went to the nurse’s office at lunch and they took her brace off. And as she walked out, she was HUMMING. Oh, praise Him for her sweet spirit!!! Isn’t she just amazing?!!






But for the last couple of hours, I have listened to my girl moaning and crying out in her sleep. And I’m just tired of it. I just want to throw the stupid brace away. I just want to take this from her, so she doesn’t have to walk this path. I’ve given her Advil and I take it off every now and then, but I know her body has to get used to it. So I’m lying in bed with her, crying, praying for God to give her rest.






And the word that comes to my heart is STRENGTH. That is what He has given her. And that is what my heart is crying out for tonight for me to have, too, to walk this road with her.

1 comment:

  1. Honey I am in tears thinking of how your sweet girl is suffering and how you and Barre' are suffering right along with her.. I am Praising God that He chose you to be her mama and gives you the strength to be an advocate for her continually. I am praying that the Lord help her body adjust quickly to the new brace and that her pain is totally gone.. Remember God knows honey, how much this hurts both her, you and Barre', but He has a reason for it, there is a purpose, as hard as that seems right now.. Love you tons and tons..

    ReplyDelete