Monday, May 17, 2010

Responsibillery

I have been thinking a lot about responsibility, or, as Miss Mc used to call it, responsibllery.

 WARNING: This is me, getting up on my soapbox!!




Why IS it that people today, of all ages, can’t be responsible?


James 5:12 tells us to let our yes be yes and our no, no. Galatians 6:4-5 says: Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Proverbs 19:1 says, “Better to be poor and honest than to be dishonest and a fool.” (I could go on with Scripture references, but rest assured, I won’t!)



So I think we can safely assume that most people understand that we are called to be responsible. So why aren’t people more responsible? I know that a lot of people like to complain that it is our teenagers who are not responsible. And I’ll wholeheartedly agree. But there are many people of other ages who are not either. Our prisons are full of people who aren’t responsible. Our government’s welfare, food stamp, and disability programs are FILLED with people who are not being honest and responsible. What about all the lawsuits out there? Or the bankruptcies? And what about big business? Or CONGRESS? (Again, I’ll not go on and on here.)

So are these people who are NOT responsible genetically predisposed to this? Or is this a learned response? The whole nature vs. nurture thing. Is there anything you can do to CHANGE an irresponsible person?
 Hmmm. . .

I don’t really know the answer to this. And I’m sure we all have our different opinions on it. I’m just wondering. . . .

.

No comments:

Post a Comment